Mosquito Control Information
http://www.odh.ohio.gov/en/features/odhfeatures/Mosquitoes/fightbites.aspx This link from the Ohio Department of Health discusses some of the bullet points listed below concerning how to avoid mosquito bites and also addresses tick issues.
What can I do to help prevent mosquitoes from breeding around my home and in my neighborhood?
· Fix holes in the ground that collect and retain water.
· Fix outdoor spigots that leak and cause puddles.
· Keep your house gutters clean and clear of debris.
· Look for items in the yard that collect and retain water such as children’s pools and buckets. Drain these items of water and turn them over.
· Consider drilling holes in any flower pots or garbage cans that naturally collect and hold water.
· Clean blocked ditches so water flows through them and does not become stagnant.
· Clean your gutters.
· Repair any compromised door and window screens in your home. Keep your screen doors and windows closed.
· Keep vegetation such as high weeds trimmed short.
· Keep your property free of waste items such as cans, tires, etc.
How can I protect myself from mosquito bites?
· Dress in light-colored long sleeved shirts and pants. (Remember that clothing is a protective layer that discourages mosquitoes from biting!)
· Consider using a personal insect repellent that contains DEET. Be sure to read and follow product application directions.
· Avoid the use of scented products such as perfumes or colognes.
· Avoid areas that have high populations of mosquitoes.